"A cult project out of Loire that has the unicorn hunters on high alert" - Mike Bennie, The Wine Front
Domaine Belargus is the realisation of a dream by former Parisian investor Ivan Massonnat. While it was his love and respect for Burgundy that ignited his passion for wine, his family connection to Chinon opened his eyes to the potential of Chenin Blanc from the great terroirs of the Loire Valley. A chance encounter with retiring vigneron Jo Pithon lead the pair to meet at the foot of the legendary Coteau des Treilles vineyard one frosty morning, and the fate of each was sealed. Further acquisitions followed, including one quarter of Les Quarts in the historic heart of the Quarts-de-Chaume appellation, along with sites across the river in Savennières. This new estate is 100% dedicated to Chenin Blanc and celebrates the grape's versatility regarding terroirs and wine style. Ivan has installed a young team, and together they are currently converting to biodynamics, with a single-plot approach inspired by Ivan's first love: Burgundy.
Adapting their approach each vintage, the various plots are harvested at their optimum maturity at incredibly low yields of around 25 hectolitres per hectare. Fermentation occurs in barrel using indigenous yeasts, and can last from less than a month to more than a year, depending on each plot and the vintage characteristics. This is one of the most exciting new ventures in France today, and should appease lovers of high quality, terroir specific wines.
- 2018 Domaine Belargus Clos des Rucheres Savennieres Magnum (1500ml)$530. 00 Bottle$6360.00 Dozen
- 2018 Domaine Belargus Treilles Anjou$350. 00 Bottle$4200.00 Dozen
- 2018 Domaine Belargus Gaudrets Savennieres$115. 00 Bottle$1380.00 Dozen
- 2018 Domaine Belargus Clos des Rucheres Savennieres$260. 00 Bottle$3120.00 Dozen
- 2018 Domaine Belargus Roueres Quarts de Chaumes Grand Cru (375ml)$140. 00 Bottle$1680.00 Dozen
- 2018 Domaine Belargus Roueres Anjou$170. 00 Bottle$2040.00 Dozen
- 2018 Domaine Belargus Quarts Anjou$170. 00 Bottle$2040.00 Dozen
- Sold Out2018 Domaine Belargus Ronceray Anjou$99. 99 Bottle$1199.88 Dozen
- Sold Out2019 Domaine Belargus Anjou Noir Anjou$69. 99 Bottle$839.88 Dozen
- Sold Out2018 Domaine Belargus Quarts Quarts de Chaumes Grand Cru (375ml)$140. 00 Bottle$1680.00 Dozen
- Sold Out2018 Domaine Belargus Layon Coteaux du Layon$99. 99 Bottle$1199.88 Dozen