- Lark Distillery Forty Spotted Winter Release Gin (700ml)Tasmania, AUSTRALIA$79. 99 Bottle$959.88 DozenABV: 40%
Named after the Forty-spotted Pardalote, the island's rarest bird, and produced at the Lark Distillery, this gin matches traditional gin botanicals with Tasmanian pepperberry. Winner of Best Australian Matured Gin at the 2019 World Gin Awards.
This special 'Winter Release' has been barrel aged (cask types will vary from batch to batch) with twenty carefully chosen botanicals giving it a subtle golden hue. 40% Alc./Vol.
McHenry Barrel Aged Gin (700ml)Tasmania, AUSTRALIA$99. 99 Bottle$1199.88 DozenABV: 40%William McHenry & Sons is the world’s most southern family owned and operated distillery, located at Port Arthur.
Mr. McHenry's current range consists of a 10-year-old single malt under the Three Capes label, plus a triple-distilled vodka and several gin variants. This cask aged gin is their latest expression, finished in 200L x-Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve Bourbon barrels. Botanicals include, citrus peel, star anise, coriander seed, cardamom and orris root, all beautifully balanced with juniper. Tasting note: Very pale straw blush, otherwise waterlike. Opens with fragile scents of lemon myrtle, pine needle and later suggestions of white pepper. Quite sedate, almost waterlike, with attractive cool mint and light juniper flavours. Delicate spices. Concludes gently peppery and with solid length. 40% Alc./Vol.
- Monkey 47 Barrel Cut Schwarzald Gin (500ml)Lossburg, GERMANY$150. 00 Bottle$1800.00 DozenABV: 47%After several years of sensory research and experimentation with all kinds of wood, the distillers at Monkey 47 have adopted a very traditional approach in the hunt for the perfect barrel-aged gin. Produced a few times each year, this limited edition expression is aged in new 110 litre, custom made, slightly toasted mulberry barrels for 180 days. Long forgotten, the rare wood of the mulberry tree was once traditionally used to mature the finest distillates the Black Forest had to offer. This highly aromatic wood is one the most redolent timbers available. It also contributes to the gin's unique colour and aroma while adding a hint of sweetness. Unfiltered. 47% Alc./Vol.
Nao Gin (700ml)PORTUGAL$89. 99 Bottle$1079.88 DozenA first for our shelves is this Portuguese gin, aged in wine barrels from Porto for four months. It has soft notes of port combined with a touch of spice, along side limes and fresh oranges. Recommended with a twist of grapefruit and a vanilla pod. Distilled in England and later bottled in Portugal, the name references the ships that were widely used by the Portuguese at one time. Comes distinctively packaged in a squat dark glass bottle with cork 'neck tie'. 40% Alc./Vol.
- Nick's Import
Original Spirits Co. Original Chardonnay Barrel Aged Gin (375ml)Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, AUSTRALIA$49. 99 Bottle$599.88 DozenABV: 38%Tasting note: Matured in a Chardonnay barrel, ageing has toned back and integrated the aromatics while adding an attractive lemon-lozenge key note. A fresh lemony character is present on the palate which is pleasingly astringent and nicely balanced. The finish leaves you with lingering traces of lemon and pine buds. Non chill filtered. 38% Alc./Vol.
- Patient Wolf Rogue Barrel Gin (700ml)Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA$160. 00 Bottle$1920.00 DozenABV: 48%An exclusive experimental release of only 250 bottles: Patient Wolf Summer Thyme Gin was rested in an x Chardonnay French Oak barrel for seven months which had previously been used to age Chardonnay and then Brett Saison Beer. Earthy spice, honey and candied citrus feature in a delivery that's almost violet-crumble like. High ABV, yet incredibly smooth, the French Oak wood has contributed colour, sweetness, weight and texture. 48% Alc./Vol. Very limited stocks.
Ransom Old Tom Gin (750ml)Sheridan, Oregon, UNITED STATES$99. 99 Bottle$1199.88 DozenABV: 44%
Started with a small life savings and a fistful of credit cards, the Ransom Project was launched in 1997, with the distillery making small amounts of grappa, eau d'vie and brandy. Gin and whiskey were added to the lineup in 2007. Their Old Tom Gin is a historically accurate revival of the predominant Gin in fashion during the mid 1800's and the golden age of American cocktails. It's a slightly sweeter rendition of the classic London Dry.
Ransom's recipe was developed in collaboration with historian, author, and mixologist extraordinaire, David Wondrich. Old Tom is the Gin for mixing classic cocktails dating from the days before prohibition. Its subtle maltiness is the result of using a base wort of malted barley, combined with an infusion of botanicals in high proof corn spirits. The final distillation is run through an alambic pot still in order to preserve the maximum amount of aromatics, flavour and body. Only the "heart of the hearts" (the very best portion of distillate) is retained for this special bottling. The distillate is then cask aged for three to six months - sometimes longer. Six botanicals are used: juniper berries, orange peel, lemon peel, coriander seed, cardamom pods and angelica root.
Tasting note: Brilliant amber gold with a coppery blush. Delightful, lifted bouquet offers up lemon barley sugar, sweet oregano, sage and hints of juniper. Light, creamy entry. A subtle amalgam of coriander seed, cardamom, raw root vegetable with gently peppery juniper to finish. Wonderfully soft. A barrel aged cross-genre style that's not as sweet as you'd expect. Beautifully done.44% Alc./Vol.Other reviews...Pale amber pink color. Aromas of sweet berry and citrus pastry, floral hops, honey and spice follow through on a soft,silky entry to a dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body with wintermint, mango custard, dried lavender, and herbal juniper and sweet spices on the gentle polished finish. Very nice. 44% Alc./Vol.
International Review of Spirits Award: Gold Medal
RATING: 93 points (Exceptional) - www.tastings.com
Settlers Oak Aged Gin (700ml)McLaren Vale, South Australia, AUSTRALIAReduced from $89.99$74. 99 Bottle$899.88 DozenABV: 43%A triple distilled, small batch gin made from grape spirit and local botanicals including native cranberry and saltbush. The brand pays homage to the region's first settlers. The producer's aim for this expression was to add structure to the gin without reducing the clarity of the botanicals. Tasting note: [BATCH 1401] Bright gold. Initial inspection conjures a curious medley of baked citrus, potpourri and rose-scented furniture wax. Light to medium bodied with subtle juniper and pine needle-like flavours and hints of peppermint and liquorice in the finish. Relaxed in the mouth with time in barrel muting the spices. The gin character is retained, though even less time in oak might be desirable? 43% Alc./Vol.
St. Laurent Vieux Gin (700ml)CANADA$99. 99 Bottle$1199.88 DozenABV: 47%Tasting note: This is the distillery's regular gin, aged in ex-whisky casks for over a year, then infused with laminaria seaweed (kombu). The result has a bouquet suggesting green balsa wood, thyme, lemon grass as well as hints of sea breeze, but with a stronger citrus accent in the mouth. In fact, the wood input is slight. Instead, you get flavours of lemon chutney and juniper combined with frail salinity, finishing with a refreshing astringency. Other botanicals include cassia bark, licorice root, lemon peel, bitter orange peel, cubeb berry and grain of paradise. 47% Alc./Vol. Other reviews... Silver medal at International Spirits Challenge 2018
- The Farmer's Wife Warm Winter Gin (500ml)New South Wales, AUSTRALIA$110. 00 Bottle$1320.00 DozenABV: 48%This new seasonal release from Farmer's Wife sees their house gin left to mature in a former peated whisky barrel, sourced from Black Gate Distillery in New South Wales. The result is a rich, floral, smoked gin with hints of candied citrus, smooth and warm all the way to the finish. The gin's smokey opulence makes for the perfect Negroni or Gin Old Fashioned. 48% Alc./Vol.
- West Winds The Barrel Expedition Gin (500ml)Margaret River, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA$99. 99 Bottle$1199.88 DozenABV: 45%This is the first of a series of barrel aged expressions to be released by West Winds. This edition has been created in collaboration with Australian Vermouth producers, Maidenii, using their Sweet Vermouth. West Winds describe it as a "true Australian Negroni style". Expect this series to multiply with a variety of barrels from suppliers of wine, whisky and more over the next couple of years. 45% Alc./Vol.