2020 Domaine Les Cailloux (Lucien et Andre Brunel) Chateauneuf Du Pape
  • 96
  • 94
  • 93
  • Nick's Import

2020 Domaine Les Cailloux (Lucien et Andre Brunel) Chateauneuf Du Pape

Chateauneuf du Pape, Southern Rhone, FRANCE
$79. 99
$959.88 Dozen
Cellar: Drink now - 8 Years (2023-2031)
ABV: 14.5%
Closure: Cork

André Brunel has always been one of the benchmark vignerons of Châteauneuf du Pape, his Les Cailloux cuvee made from a blend of 70% Grenache, 17% Mourvedre, 10% Syrah and 3% Cinsault with vines on average 60 years old. Almost all of the vinifications and aging are done in concrete for a period of 18 months with the exception of the Syrah which gets aged in older oak.
Very deep dark red heart with black shaded edges and a dark red hue. Wafting from the glass are black raspberry, liquorice and dark to black cherry aromas followed by scorched earth, herbs du Provence and peppered meat notes. Engulfing the mouth are rich, seductive black raspberry, liquorice and black cherry fruits which whilst full in body are far from overweight. Infusions of earthy incense like characters, herbs du Provence and spicy pepper lend further nuance. Velvet smooth tannins carry a slightly chewy under carriage. Powerful yet relatively refined it concludes long, succulent and spicy.
Drink over the next 6-8 years.
Alc. 14.5%

Other Reviews….
This traditional style Chateauneuf has a complex nose of leather, dry earth, candied orange peel and licorice. More red-berry fruit on the expansive yet delicate palate, where there’s a wonderful interplay of super-fine tannins and restrained richness through the very long, silky finish. Drink or hold.
94 points

Moving to the red, the 2020 Châteauneuf Du Pape is brilliant stuff, offering lots of kirsch, peppery garrigue, and sandalwood aromas and flavors. Medium-bodied, pure, seamless, and just classic 2020 with its soft, charming style, it’s delicious today and will be delicious in a decade as well. The blend is 65% Grenache, 20% Mourvedre, 10% Syrah, and the rest Cinsault, brought up 90% in concrete and 10% in old barrels. Drink 2022-2032.
93 points