- Nick's Import
2019 Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste Pre-Arrival Offer
A truly classic, age worthy style of wine from Pauillac, Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste is one of those Fifth Growth wines that shine in great years, rivalling the very best from the region. This is most recently seen in the pairs of 2009/2010 and 2015/2016. Currently plantings on the 55 hectare estate are 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and 5% Cabernet Franc.
The 2019 Grand Puy Lacoste is deep purple in colour. Initially the bouquet is tight and so I left my sample for 15-20 minutes to open. It rewards patience with a beguiling mélange of pure blackberry, raspberry, crushed violet and pencil shavings, very focused and mineral-driven. The palate is medium-bodied with finely chiseled tannins. Compared to the robust, tannic GPL's of old, this is much more lithe and approachable, yet it still bears the DNA of this Pauillac estate. It might not possess the flair of other 2019 Left Banks, but that it is not what I seek from this estate. Classy and full of breeding - quintessential Pauillac.
Neal Martin - Vinous
A firm, silky red with intense, chewy tannins, showing structure, beauty and intensity. Full-bodied, tight and chewy. Racy and focused GPL. Shows a more refined structure than the 2018, but serious.
Lovely depth of colour, a big difference between the 1st and 2nd wine in this vintage, this just screams Pauillac with its pencil lead, charcoal and cassis notes. Glass-staining colour, extremely silky, with liquorice and chocolate adding layers without taking away from the purity of expression. Fine tannic hold, tons of character and clear longevity - this is a brilliant wine, easily equal to the 2018 and approaching the 2016.
Jane Anson - Decanter
Black currants, flowers, cedar, cigar wrapper and cassis meld together on the nose. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, round, concentrated, lush, deep and packed with sweet, juicy cassis and blackberries, ripe tannins, and a finish marked by the purity in the fruit with the structure of Pauillac. This will age gracefully for at least 3 decades or longer.
Jeff Leve - Wine Cellar Insider
Conditions of Pre Arrival Offer:
- There is no minimum order unless stated.
- All wines are 750ml unless indicated otherwise.
- Once received, all orders will be confirmed with suppliers and then an invoice issued - payment will be due on receipt of this invoice.
- The wines are being collected and shipped in refrigerated containers and are due to arrive in late 2022.
- Nicks Wine Merchants reserve the right to pass on any changes in Government duties and taxes and delivery charges from the date of order to the date of final delivery of the wine.
- Errors and omissions excepted.
- Delivery charges may apply - these can be determined by visiting the Freight Rates page.