- Nick's Import
2018 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Pre-Arrival Offer
Inky black in colour with a deep bright dark red black hue. Very expressive, the nose offers up aromas of blackcurrant, black cherry, subtle liquorice and dark chocolate which are trailed by vanillin cedar, earth and spice. Rich, concentrated blackcurrant, black cherry and dark chocolate flavours are framed by a ripe chewy tannin structure. Vanillin oak, earth, subtle black olive and spice characters sit in the background. Ripe muscular feel with a long robust aftertaste.
Cellar 8-10 years.
Very pretty blackberry, blackcurrant, walnut, forest-flower and dark-walnut aromas follow through to a full body with round, juicy tannins that are fine-grained and beautiful. Lovely length and generosity, but reserved at the finish to give it tension. Mostly from the Soscol vineyard. 97% cabernet sauvignon. Drink or hold.
The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is bright, punchy and full of energy. Sweet red berry, mocha, licorice, spice, menthol and a kiss of new French oak all grace the 2018. Plummy and pliant, the 2018 will drink well right out of the gate, but it has the pedigree to develop nicely for a number of years. Most of this fruit is sourced from vineyards in the southern end of the valley. Drink 2023-2033.
Antonio Galloni – Vinous
Ripe and lush up front, with waves of cassis, mulled plum and blackberry compote underscored by singed alder and graphite on the finish, adding grip. This is packed and well-built. Best from 2022 through 2032. Tasted twice, with consistent notes.
The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cabernet Franc and 1% Malbec, coming from vineyard locations in south Napa Valley, St. Helena, Oak Knoll District and Stags Leap District. It was aged for 18 months in 40% new (51% American, 49% French) and 60% one- to two-year-old French and American oak barrels. Deep garnet-purple colored, it does pirouettes out of the glass with notes of crushed blackberries, wild blueberries and ripe blackcurrants plus hints of lilacs, menthol, forest floor and pencil shavings with a touch of wild sage. Medium-bodied, the palate is as intense as it is elegant, featuring layers of fresh black and blue fruits and gentle herbal accents, framed by firm, grainy tannins and plenty of freshness, finishing long and minerally. Drink 2020-2034.
Lisa Perrotti-Brown - Wine Advocate (Nov 2020)
Conditions of Pre Arrival Offer:
- There is no minimum order unless stated.
- All wines are 750ml unless indicated otherwise.
- Once received, all orders will be confirmed with suppliers and then an invoice issued - payment will be due on receipt of this invoice.
- The wines are being collected and shipped in refrigerated containers and are due to arrive in April 2022.
- Nicks Wine Merchants reserve the right to pass on any changes in Government duties and taxes and delivery charges from the date of order to the date of final delivery of the wine.
- Errors and omissions excepted.
- Delivery charges may apply - these can be determined by visiting the Freight Rates page.