2017 Cape Mentelle Zinfandel
  • 96
  • Hot Item
  • 95

    2017 Cape Mentelle Zinfandel

    Margaret River, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA
    $54. 99 Bottle
    $659.88 Dozen
    Cellar: Drink now - 6 Years (2021-2027)
    ABV: 14.9%
    Closure: Stelvin

    The fruit for this blend of 87% Zinfandel, 8% Grenache and 5% Shiraz was sourced from Cape Mentelle’s original block of bush vines planted in 1974 located at the western edge of the Wallcliffe Vineyard.  Also included was a small parcel of fruit from a close by vineyard planted by the Cape Mentelle founders. Maturation took place for a period of 18 months in a mix of French (50%), American (25%) and Hungarian (25%) oak of which in total 50% was new.
    Deep dark red black colour with a dark red black tinged hue. Heady black plum, liquorice and morello cherry aromas mix with spicy vanillin oak and earthy cinnamon notes. Rich black cherry, black plum and liquorice fruits carry ample weight across the full bodied palate with vanillin oak, earth and spicy cinnamon characters lying underneath. Opulent mouthfeel with ripe chewy tannins providing structure. Finishes long, rich and spicy.
    Drink over the next 5-6 years.
    Alc. 14.9%

    Other Reviews…..
    Zinfandel's complex path from Bordeaux to the Napa Valley and thence to Margaret River, is a tale in itself. It's not an easy variety to grow, nor make, and Cape Mentelle has consistently been the best in Australia. Drink by 2027.
    95 points
    James Halliday – Australian Wine Companion