Spend $200 & get free delivery to most of Australia
Click here for all Australian freight rates
- DUE TO HIGH PARCEL VOLUMES SOME AREAS MAY EXPERIENCE LONGER THAN NORMAL DELIVERY TIMES.
- Click & Collect is available (typical turnaround is 1-3 hours).
Minor label and/or packaging scuff is impossible to avoid in every instance. We request that customers have realistic expectations in this regard.
Click here to read our Terms & Conditions.
There are currently no reviews for this product.
Bols Oude Genever Gin (1000ml)
Subscribe to stock alerts
Please enter your email address to receive stock alerts for this product:
- ABV 35%
We are pleased to import this sought after gin after a long absence from the Australian market. The Very old (Oude) distinction derives its name from the fact that this was the first genever known in Holland, the home of gin. Its robust flavour stands out, being decidedly different in taste than that of the more familiar London Dry Gins – fuller and riper, although similar botanicals are used in its manufacture only in different proportions. The chief point of difference is the spirit base used in Dutch Gin which, unlike its New World counterparts, is not a completely tasteless neutral grain spirit. Rather, 'Zeer Oude Bols' is distilled in a pot still from a mash containing rye, barley and corn which on distillation produces some congeners normally associated with whisky. Dutch Gins are also generally distilled at a lower alcoholic strength than New World types. Bols Genever Gin, consistent with its old world tradition, is bottled in a distinctive stone crock and has an alcohol content of 35 % /vol. Best drunk neat and chilled.
An interesting fact when contemplating the use of Genever: In 1862 a celebrity bartender by the name of Jerry Thomas produced the world's first cocktail and bartending book titled "The Bar-tenders Guide or How To Mix Drinks". In there appeared recipes based around four basic cocktail spirits being brandy, rum, whisky and not surprisingly, Genever the predecessor of London Dry Gin.
Below is a cocktail recipe replicating an original version of the 'Orange Collins', a classic in the era of Jerry Thomas.
Recipe: Orange Collins
-Dry orange liqueur
-Freshly squeezed lemon juice
-Sugar Syrup (2:1)
1. Fill a shaker with ice and add 2 dashes of bitters, 15ml Sugar Syrup,15ml Dry orange liqueur, 30ml freshly squeezed lemon juice and 75ml of Oude Genever.
2. Close the shaker and shake for 10 seconds
3. Double strain: pour the contents of the shaker through a Hawthorn strainer and a fine strain, into the pre-chilled glass.
4. Squeeze an orange wedge over the glass and drop it into the drink.
5. Top up with sparkling water .
Serve in a tall glass with an orange wedge and long straw