Spend $200 & get free delivery to most of Australia
Click here for all Australian freight rates
- DUE TO HIGH PARCEL VOLUMES EXPECT INCREASED DELAYS ON ALL DELIVERIES.
- AUSTRALIA POST DELIVERIES WILL TAKE EVEN LONGER.
For express service, call 1800 069 295 for a quote.
Click here to read our Terms & Conditions.
There are currently no reviews for this product.
2018 Chateau Capbern Pre-Arrival Offer
Subscribe to stock alerts
Please enter your email address to receive stock alerts for this product:
- Closure: Cork
Chateau Capbern (formerly Capbern Gasqueton) is on a roll since the new owners took over the estate, along with Calon Segur, in 2012. Already blessed with prime vineyards close to heavyweights Montrose and Phelan Segur, their winemaking facilities have recently been rejuvenated and the wines haven't looked better.
Vineyards at the estate are planted to 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot, with an average vine age of 30 years. Vinification takes place in stainless steel vats, malolactic fermentation in tank, and the wine is aged in 50% new French oak barrels for 18 months.
The 2018 Capbern is composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot and comes in at 14.6% alcohol. It's anticipated to age for 16 months in barriques, 60% new. Deep purple-black in color, it leaps from the glass with vibrant scents of black raspberries, kirsch and fresh blackcurrants with nuances of cedar chest, pencil lead and forest floor plus a waft of lavender. Full-bodied, rich and packed with juicy fruit, it has a firm line of grainy tannins and loads of freshness, finishing with an herbal lift.
Lisa Perrotti-Brown - Wine Advocate
Delicious cassis, plum and blackberry fruit forms the core, showing lovely purity and definition. Light tobacco, floral and mineral shadings emerge through the finish.
James Molesworth - Wine Spectator
A fresh and firm Capbern with lots of dark berries, chocolate and hints of hazelnuts. Medium to full body and dense, lightly chewy tannins. Mineral undertone.
This spicy wine is rich in a black currant flavor, yet balanced by bright acidity. It's a fine wine that will develop well.
The 2018 Capbern is expressive, nuanced and inviting, with lovely upfront fruit. In 2018, Capbern is a bit compact and tightly wound, but it also has a good deal of persistence. The Cabernet is quite marked in the 2018, which is not a bad thing, it just means the wine is going to need time to be at its best. What really stands out, though, is the push and pull between the bright aromatics that this cool, clay-rich soil helped give in 2018, and the ripe, radiant fruit of the warm summer. That interplay makes for an absolutely compelling wine. Red cherry fruit, mint, dried flowers, cedar and tobacco add aromatic nuance to this highly expressive, vibrant Saint-Estèphe. The blend is 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot. Tasted two times.
Antonio Galloni - Vinous
Conditions of Pre Arrival Offer:
- There is no minimum order unless stated.
- All wines are 750ml unless indicated otherwise.
- Once received, all orders will be confirmed with suppliers and then an invoice issued - payment will be due on receipt of this invoice.
- The wines are being shipped in refrigerated containers and are due to arrive in late 2021.
- Nicks Wine Merchants reserve the right to pass on any changes in Government duties and taxes and delivery charges from the date of order to the date of final delivery of the wine.
- Errors and omissions excepted.
- Delivery charges may apply - these can be determined by visiting the Freight Rates page.