- Nick's Import
2020 Le Petit Lion du Marquis de Las Cases Pre-Arrival Offer
The 2020 Le Petit Lion (the second wine of Léoville Las Cases, mainly from younger vines) is a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc and 44% Merlot, aging in 30% new French oak barriques, weighing in with an alcohol of 13.61%, a pH of 3.69 and an IPT (tannins index) of 75. The Cabernet Sauvignon was harvested from the 17th to the 29th of September, the Merlot from the 10th to the 15th of September and the Cabernet Franc from the 15th to the 17th of September. Sporting a medium to deep purple-black color, it springs from the glass with vibrant notes of black cherries, redcurrant jelly and cassis, plus touches of lavender, fallen leaves and cinnamon stick, with a waft of black truffles. The medium-bodied palate has bright, bold black and red berry layers with a grainy texture and loads of freshness, finishing long with a spicy kick. A very impressive second wine!
Lisa Perrotti-Brown - Wine Advocate (May 2021)
The 2020 Le Petit Lion du Marquis de las Cases is a very serious second wine. The aromatics alone are immediately enchanting. This mid-weight Saint-Julien is so expressive today. Crushed flowers, bright red-toned fruit, mint, rose petal and cedar are all very nicely lifted. Firm, but precise tannins lend energy and proportion. The Petit Lion is a blend of young vine Cabernet and old-vine Merlot from Las Cases.
Antonio Galloni - Vinous
This is very deep and rich with ripe tannins that take your down and through the palate. Full and layered. This is really plush and intense. Could be the best ever for the second wine. Goes deep.
The second wine of this great estate, the 2020 Le Petit Lion checks in as 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 44% Merlot, and the rest Cabernet Franc. It has the class of the Grand Vin yet is made in a slightly softer, more forward style and offers lots of black cherry and dark currants fruits as well as notes of lead pencil, dried tobacco, and loamy earth. Playing in the medium to full-bodied end of the spectrum, it's balanced, has ripe tannins, the hallmark purity of fruit of the vintage, and a great finish. I’d be thrilled to drink a bottle any time over the coming 10-15 years or more.
Conditions of Pre Arrival Offer:
- There is no minimum order unless stated.
- All wines are 750ml unless indicated otherwise.
- Once received, all orders will be confirmed with suppliers and then an invoice issued - payment will be due on receipt of this invoice.
- The wines are being collected and shipped in refrigerated containers and are due to arrive in late 2023.
- Nicks Wine Merchants reserve the right to pass on any changes in Government duties and taxes and delivery charges from the date of order to the date of final delivery of the wine.
- Errors and omissions excepted.
- Delivery charges may apply - these can be determined by visiting the Freight Rates page.