Imported Red Wines
88 86 93 89Direct ImportCotes de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, FRANCE$29.99 Bottle
- Closure: Cork
The 2016 Puygueraud is a blend of 80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 5% Malbec that was picked from 11-22 October. This was showing a little over-ripeness on the nose that just detracted from the delineation. The palate is chewy on the entry with plenty of black fruit, a little rustic in style with a slight attenuation towards the finish. I feel that the 2015 demonstrated more complexity last year. Let's see.
Neal Martin eRobertParker.com #230 (Apr 2017)
Fresh cassis and blackberry fruit races along, with a light anise accent shading the back end. Not big, but pure and tasty.-J.M.
This is really rich and powerful. Full-bodied, round and chewy. Very long and dense. It's really something. Better than the 2015. Best ever?
The 2016 Puygueraud is unusually rich and dense in this vintage. Jammy blue/purplish fruit, spice, licorice and menthol flesh out in a soft, unctuous Côtes de Bordeaux endowed with depth and texture. Opulent and inviting, with no hard edges, the 2016 will drink well right out of the gate. Small berries produced an especially rich, deep Puygueraud. In a second tasting, the tannins were a bit more evident. The 2016 is an intense, fruit-driven, ripe Puygueraud. This is a stellar wine in its class. Tasted three times.
Direct ImportCotes de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, FRANCE$26.99 Bottle
The 2015 Puygueraud was picked between September 28 and October 13, and is a blend of 80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 5% Malbec. It was a little reduced on the nose at first, though it cleared to reveal stony blackberry fruit, quite "airy" and lifted. The palate is medium-bodied with light tannin, fresh and lively, a pleasant mineral core already tangible with a brisk, fresh, crisp finish. This is a little delight.
Neal Martin - eRobertParker.com #224 (Apr 2016)
This has a strong tobacco leaf edge, along with a dark tea note and a twinge of alder, all mixing with the medium-weight core of black cherry fruit. Shows good range and length.
J.M. - Wine Spectator
The leading player in the appellation. A blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc with 5% Malbec. Lovely aromatic expression – blueberry and dark fruit notes. Sweet fruited palate with a touch of oak present. Fine, rounded tannins and a firm, chalky finish. Fine ageing potential.
So pretty and refined already with dark fruit and floral character. Full body, very polished tannins and a precise and clean finish.
The 2015 Puygueraud is dark, plummy and delicious. Cherry, plum, chocolate and sweet spice are front and center in this tasty Francs - Côtes de Bordeaux from Nicolas Thienpont. The richness and raciness of the vintage comes through nicely. Hints of violet, plum and cinnamon add perfume on the finish. The blend is 80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 5% Malbec that seems to give wine an extra kick of exuberance. Tasted two times.
Conditions of Pre-Arrival Offer:
1. There is no minimum order unless stated.
2. All wines are 750ml unless indicated otherwise.
3. Once received, all orders will be confirmed with suppliers and stock availability will be subject to final confirmation.
4. The wines are being shipped in refrigerated containers and are due to arrive in late 2018.
5. Nicks Wine Merchants reserve the right to pass on any changes in Government duties and taxes and delivery charges from the date of order to the date of final delivery of the wine.
6. Errors and omissions excepted.
7. Delivery charges may apply - these can be determined by visiting the Freight Rates page.
93Direct ImportCotes de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, FRANCE$21.99 Bottle
- Closure: Cork
Really excellent with a beautiful depth of fruit and a wonderful center palate. Full-bodied, fruit-driven red yet one that's in check and balanced. Well done. Better than the 2015?
Conditions of Pre Arrival Offer:
- There is no minimum order unless stated.
- All wines are 750ml unless indicated otherwise.
- Once received, all orders will be confirmed with suppliers and then an invoice issued - payment will be due on receipt of this invoice.
- The wines are being shipped in refrigerated containers and are due to arrive in late 2019.
- Nicks Wine Merchants reserve the right to pass on any changes in Government duties and taxes and delivery charges from the date of order to the date of final delivery of the wine.
- Errors and omissions excepted.
- Delivery charges may apply - these can be determined by visiting the Freight Rates page.