Spend $200 & get free delivery to most of Australia
Click here for all Australian freight rates
- DUE TO HIGH PARCEL VOLUMES SOME AREAS MAY EXPERIENCE LONGER THAN NORMAL DELIVERY TIMES.
- Click & Collect is available (typical turnaround is 1-3 hours).
Minor label and/or packaging scuff is impossible to avoid in every instance. We request that customers have realistic expectations in this regard.
Click here to read our Terms & Conditions.
There are currently no reviews for this product.
1999 Moulin Touchais
Subscribe to stock alerts
Please enter your email address to receive stock alerts for this product:
- Cellar 10 - 20 years (2020-2030)
- ABV 13.5%
- Closure: Cork
On the banks of the river Layon that threads its way through the gently rolling hills of the Loire Valley exists one of the world's largest and oldest single wine stocks. Miles of underground cellars contain a rare collection dating back to the 1800s. Remarkable bottles are occasionally uncorked, (many over one hundred years old) and more often than not the experience is incredible: the wines remain undiminished with the passing of a century, instead, they possess a vitality and elegance that is completely unexpected. These are the sweet Chenin Blanc wines from Moulin Touchais, a legendary Loire Estate in the heart of the Coteaux du Layon.
Since 1787, the Moulin Touchais cellars and surrounding vineyards have essentially remained unchanged. Owned and managed by eight generations of the Touchais family, they make only one wine with a staunchly traditionalist approach - low-yields, careful harvesting and meticulous winemaking, particularly during pressing and the long fermentation period. However, the real secret behind their longevity and charming complexity results from a unique harvesting strategy.
20% of the grapes are picked around eighty days after fowering while the fruit is still under ripe and loaded with acid. The other 80% is harvested late (around one hundred & twenty days after fowering) generally yielding fruit with very high sugar levels and concentrated favours (the wines are not infuenced by botrytis). The overall fruit/sugar/acid balance are factors ultimately determining Moulin Touchais' house style. The third factor is time.
The wines are released after ten years in the cellar with some just beginning to reach their peak after twenty years. Many of the great vintages such as the 1953, 1959 and 1969 are still maturing, so it's reassuring to learn that Moulin Touchais are also the only winemakers in the world who give a century long guarantee on the longevity of their wines (subject to being kept under optimal cellar conditions). At frst this seems like a foolish offer and you may well ask "who'll be around to prove it anyway?" The issue can only be resolved by tasting old bottles, which we did, including vintages from 1892, 1885 and 1872. At over 100 years of age, the wines were probably still not at their peak. James Halliday attended our tasting summing up the experience in one word: ‘Euphoric.
Brilliant lemon gold colour with golden straw edges and pale straw hue. The nose displays aromas of honeyed lemon, apricot and spice with a honeycomb end note. Rich mouthfilling luscious palate flavours of honey, apricot and baked apple followed by a touch of spice. Good acidity. Clean finish with very long aftertaste of honey, spice and baked apple.
Cellar 10-20 years (2020-2030)
Alc 13.5% Please click here to purchase any of the available Moulin Touchais vintages. Click here to learn more about the extraordinary wines of Moulin Touchais.