When ploughing in 1920 near the site of one of those numerous Cold Harbours which the Romans delighted to dot over the midland counties (in this case the one of that name near Grantham a beautiful object, remarkable for the material from which it was made, was turned up by the plough. Close examination proved it to be a lead drinking cup, 4 3/4 inches high, evidently at one time an article of price, for it is decorated with a band set with glass stones of various colours: green, red, blue and yellow. Above the belt are figures of deities and emblems, and below it a wreath of vine, bearing a bunch of grapes.
We know that the Romans used lead very extensively for roofing, water pipes and coffins, but it is unusual to find this metal being used by them for drinking cups.
Reproduced from the book:
Drinking Vessels of Bygone Days
by G. J. MONSON-FITZJOHN, B.Sc.,F.R.Hist.S.
author of Quaint Signs of Olde Inns, etc.